This slow cooker chicken taco soup recipe is a super simple, dump it all in, no chopping required walk away recipe! This has the best flavor combination - you'll love the addition of beer and taco seasoning with beans and sweet corn with green chilies. Top with your favorite taco toppings and voila - you've got the perfect make-ahead meal!
The Easy Chicken Taco Soup Crockpot Recipe!
Best taste. The combination of seasonings, beer, broth, and beans paired with the sweet corn and spice from the green chiles is so delicious!
Super Simple! You can't ask for anything more - a fabulous tasting soup with minimal effort. Literally, just dump it all in, walk away, and let your slow cooker do all the work.
Make ahead and meal prep. You can totally prep this soup in advance (up to 3 days) and let it sit in your fridge until you are ready to start it. Frozen breasts can be added straight into the pot and by the time you are ready they will be thawed.
Crockpot Taco Soup with Chicken Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make slow cooker chicken taco soup:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: use breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Canned Pinto Beans
- Canned Black Beans
- Canned Whole Kernel Sweet Corn
- Canned Tomato Sauce
- Can of Beer: beer adds an amazing flavor, but feel free to substitute chicken broth.
- Chicken Broth
- Canned diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies: use mild or spicy.
- Dried Minced Onion: fresh chopped onion may be used, but for convenience, I chose dried minced as a time saver.
- Chicken Taco Seasoning: chicken taco seasoning, regular taco seasoning - homemade or store-bought may be used.
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional for Serving: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced green onion, and crushed tortilla chips.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 😉
Variations and Substitutions
Here are a few ways you can customize your slow cooker chicken taco soup:
- Add chopped fresh jalapeno pepper or serrano pepper to the soup while cooking to add some extra spice! Remember to start light-handed, not to overpower the soup. Add a drizzle of hot sauce to the top of your bowl for even more zip!
- Substitute the beer with extra chicken broth if preferred.
- Use fresh minced onion instead of dried minced onion.
- Adjust any seasonings to taste.
How To Make Chicken Taco Soup in Slow Cooker
- Add all prepared ingredients to the slow cooker.
2. Set the slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked and shreds easily.
3. Remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred OR shred the chicken in the crockpot using two forks.
4. If you removed the chicken to shred, add it back to the crockpot and stir all ingredients together.
How To Serve Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup
Anything that goes on a taco can top this soup. Garnish with cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions, and your favorite crushed tortilla chips. Fresh cilantro is a nice addition too!
Serve this soup with a fresh slice of warm french bread or corn muffins and a fresh green salad.
Check out our serving suggestions above or below on the recipe card. A few of the most popular items eaten with taco soup are salsa, guacamole, coleslaw, cornbread, warm tortillas, or tortilla chips.
Taco seasoning is commonly used with beef, but it goes just fine with chicken too. Regular taco seasoning has a bolder flavor, which works great in this soup. You can buy chicken taco seasoning and it is slightly milder and usually contains less chili powder. Both work well in this recipe.
Garlic is said to be the number one seasoning that brings out the best flavors of chicken, whether it be dried, roasted, or fresh. Another simple seasoning is just salt and pepper. Salt is very important in enhancing the flavor of any recipe. Most, if not all, chicken seasonings will also contain a dried herb, whether it be oregano, parsley, sage, thyme, or rosemary.
Reheat your soup in a microwave or saucepot on the stove over low heat until heated through. Stir frequently.
Put cooled leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze fro up to 4 months.
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe (Crockpot)
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel sweet corn (drained)
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) can or bottle of beer (chicken broth can be substituted)
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion (or 1 cup finely chopped fresh onion)
- 1 package chicken taco seasoning or regular taco seasoning mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional for serving: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced green onion, and crushed tortilla chips.
- Add all ingredients to a 4 to 6-quart crockpot. (Note: if using fresh onion, place them on the bottom of the pot).
- Cover and cook 6 to 8 hours or until the chicken is easily shreddable with a fork.
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup and shred. Add it back to the pot.
- Salt and pepper soup to taste. Serve and enjoy.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Substitute chicken broth for beer if preferred; Use chicken thighs in place of breasts.
- MAKE IT CREAMY CHICKEN TACO SOUP: Add 4 ounces of very soft (soften in a microwave) cream cheese and ½ cup heavy cream after the soup has finished cooking. 1 cup of shredded cheese can also be added and melted into the soup.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve topped with optional cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions, and crushed tortilla chips.
© 2023 Slow Cooked Eats