Jumpstart your week with this scrumptious, easy slow cooker white chicken chili! With just 8 simple ingredients and less than 10 minutes of prep - you're on your way to a cozy meal. Let your crockpot do all the work, leaving you with a hearty, warming dinner. You'll love very bite!
It's The Best White Chicken Chili Crockpot Recipe!
It's super easy. This is intended to be an easy chili recipe, so I used a seasoning packet and as minimal ingredients as possible - without sacrificing flavor. With that said, this chili is easily customizable if you've got more time. You can even make your own homemade seasoning pack - quite easily (see the ingredient list below or recipe card for more details).
Best flavor. For such few ingredients, you will LOVE the flavor this chili has - it's got spice customized to your level, tender chicken, beans, and a sweetness from the corn.
Healthy. This chili is low in fat and calories. Additional veggies like mushrooms, zucchini, and bell peppers can be added to make it even more nutritious. See my notes under the Substitution and Variation section below.
White Chili Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this slow cooker white chicken chili:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: I used a yellow onion, but white or red onions may be used. Red will lend a sweeter taste. Substitute 1 tablespoon of dried minced onion or 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
- Onion: I used a yellow onion, but a sweet white onion would add a nice flavor too.
- White Beans: use any white bean - cannelloni, navy bean, great Northern, etc.
- Diced Green Chiles: use mild or hot depending upon your taste preferences.
- White Shoepeg Corn: the white corn adds sweetness and makes the chili even more chunky.
- White Chicken Chili Seasoning: use a store-bought packet or make this homemade recipe from my sister site Seeking Good Eats - it's quite easy and healthy!
- (Optional) Softened Cream Cheese: add this at the end to make this a creamy chili
- (Optional) Lime Juice: lime juice adds a nice balancing tang to this recipe that I just love.
- For Serving: sour cream, lime wedges, fresh cilantro, white cheese such as jack, mozzarella, queso fresco.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Substitutions and Variations
Here are some suggestions for customizing your slow cooker white chicken chili:
- Make it spicy by adding hot sauce, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper or using a spicy barbecue sauce.
- Make it creamy crockpot white chicken chili with cream cheese! Be sure that the cream cheese is VERY soft. I soften it in the microwave. You can also use sour cream or Greek yogurt instead of, or in combination with, cream cheese.
- Add up to 2 cups of veggies like mushrooms, zucchini, and bell peppers. Keep in mind you may need to adjust the seasoning after cooking. Adding vegetables will increase the liquid in the pot, making the chili runnier, so you may need to thicken it.
- Boost the flavors and balance it with the tang from lime juice.
- Add freshness after cooking by stirring in sliced green onions or freshly chopped cilantro.
- I purposely used very little liquid so that this chili is thicker. If its too thick
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest! 🙂
How To Make Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
Here's how to make this easy slow cooker shredded chicken recipe:
- Microwave the onion to give it a head start cooking and soften it.
2. Add all ingredients to the crockpot. Stir to combine.
3. Cover and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours or until the chicken is cooked through.
4. If using, add softened cream cheese to the chili. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish as desired.
What To Serve with Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Serve white chicken chili with crackers, cornbread, warmed tortillas, or tortilla chips.
Garnish with fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, olives, chives, and diced tomatoes. Shredded cheese is a great topper, as well as sour cream or Greek yogurt.
Meal idea! Serve this chili with a tossed green salad and a favorite dressing and corn muffins, warmed tortillas, or tortilla chips. For dessert serve Crockpot Apple Crisp!
How To Store Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Transfer cooled chili to an air tight container. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days and a freezer for up to 4 months.
There are several ways you can reheat slow cooker chicken chili:
Microwave: transfer to a microwave safe dish and loosely cover. Microwave on 50% for 30 seconds at a time until warmed through, stirring periodically.
Crockpot: leftovers can be reheated in the crockpot on low or high. Cover and heat until desired warmth is achieved.
Stovetop: transfer chili to a saucepan, cover, and reheat over low to medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
To thicken white chicken chili in a slow cooker you've got a couple of options:
1. Remove the lid and continue slow cooking until some of the excess liquid evaporates.
2. Whisk together 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in 2 to 3 tablespoons of cold water.
3. Use a gluten free thickener such as ½ teaspoon xanthan gum (a little goes a long way) dissolved in 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
The easiest way to make your white chicken chili chunkier after cooking is to add more rinsed and drained corn or beans, then reheat. If you love crackers, you can crumble them in for more texture. If you're looking for more flavor and chunkiness, you could saute halved mushrooms or cubed zucchini in a skillet and add to the chili.
About 5 to 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs are needed to make this white chicken chili recipe, if you'd like to substitute the chicken breasts.
There are several ways to make slow cooker white chicken chili spicier:
1. Add finely chopped green hot peppers such as jalapeno or habanero.
2. Use a can of hot diced green chiles instead of mild.
3. Add in red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
4. Splash in some hot sauce of the green or red variety.
White Chicken Chili Crock Pot Recipe
- 1 recipe or packet white chicken chili seasoning mix
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1½ poundd boneless skinless chicken breasts (diced into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 (16-ounce can) white beans (any white bean will do; drain and rinse)
- 1 (11-ounce) can white shoepeg corn (drained)
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles (mild or hot; do not drain)
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces (optional) cream cheese (soften in a microwave before adding)
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Add onion to a microwave-safe bowl along with 2 tablespoons of water, cover loosely with plastic, and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Drain the water then add onions to the crockpot.
- Add chicken, seasoning mix, beans, green chiles, and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and onions are tender. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. (Optional add-in: stir in very soft cream cheese after cooking)
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Chicken thighs may be substituted, or use cooked ground chicken, turkey, or beef if preferred.
- Make it Creamy White Chicken Chili with Cream Cheese by adding very soft cream cheese after cooking. You could also use sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- WHY MICROWAVE THE ONIONS? Because of the small chicken pieces, this soup doesn't take very long to cook - the chicken will be done well before the onions become tender. Microwaving helps to move the cooking process along.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Garnish with cilantro and top with cheese, sour cream, or salsa verde. Serve with cornbread, corn muffins, or tortilla chips.
© 2023 Slow Cooked Eats