This mouthwatering french onion chicken crock pot recipe is so easy! Less than 10 ingredients and about 10 minutes to prepare all you need to make this delicious slow cooker dinner. Tender chicken in a thick french onion and herb sauce served over toasted french bread and shredded swiss cheese. Oh yeah. Ready to make it?
As good as French onion soup - maybe better? 😉 You will absolutely love serving the chicken and french onion gravy over the toasted french bread with swiss cheese! The bread will lap up the sauce - so delicious!
If you're looking for a super simple, and very satisfying, weeknight dinner this is it! Microwave the onions to give them a headstart on cooking, then get the chicken and sauce going in the crock pot. When the chicken is done toast the french bread (butter if you want to), then dish it up. Voila!
🥘 Ingredients Needed for Crockpot French Onion Chicken
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this pulled crockpot bbq chicken:
- Onion: I used a yellow onion, but white or red onions may be used. Red will lend a sweeter taste. Substitute 1 tablespoon of dried minced onion or 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: use either boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs.
- Onion Soup Mix: a dried french onion soup mix is perfect, but a standard package of onion soup mix also works.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: adds a slight creaminess to the dish.
- Thyme: use 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Sour Cream: the finishing touch adds slightly more creaminess, freshness, and a little tang. Lovely!
- Cornstarch: used to thicken the juices. 2 tablespoons of tapioca may also be used.
- Swiss Cheese: a common cheese in french onion soup.
- French Bread: toasting french bread and topping with cheese and the french onion chicken is what sets this whole dish apart and makes it amazing!
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this easy french onion chicken crock pot recipe:
- Give the onions a head start and microwave with a little water for 5 minutes.
- Make the sauce by mixing together chicken soup, cornstarch, onion soup mix, and thyme in a bowl.
- Layer onions, chicken, then sauce. Cover and slow cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until the chicken breasts are done.
- To serve, toast each slice of french bread (spread a small amount of butter over each if desired). Place the slice of bread in the bottom of a bowl, sprinkle with swiss cheese, place chicken breast on top, cover in sauce, then sprinkle with additional swiss cheese.
For full instructions, please see the recipe card below!
🥗 What To Serve With Crock Pot French Onion Chicken
Here's how to serve your creamy french onion chicken in the crock pot!
Garnish with fresh herbs such as thyme or parsley, fried onions, and additional swiss cheese if desired.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower, and serve the bread on the side.
- Meal idea! Serve with a side of steamed green beans, broccoli, or a fresh green salad.
To lower the carbs, omit the bread or use a low-carb substitute.
Here are some suggestions for customizing your slow cooker french onion chicken:
- If preferred, the bread can be buttered and broiled in the oven. Top with slices of swiss cheese and broil until melted and bubbly. Top with chicken and sauce.
- The swiss cheese can be placed on top of the chicken and broiled quickly - just until melted.
- Use boneless skinless chicken thighs in place of chicken breast.
- Instead of microwaving the onions, you can caramelize them in a skillet with butter. Saute them over medium-high to give them color. They do not have to cook entirely as they will finish off in the slow cooker.
- To boost the savory, salty, umami taste, use 1 to 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce - or more to taste.
- Fresh minced garlic or one teaspoon of garlic powder can be added.
💭 Slow Cooker Tips
If you have to be away from your slow cooker for more than 5 hours, it is recommended that you use chicken thighs as they will not dry out as fast as chicken breast.
To store leftovers, let the chicken and sauce cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
To freeze leftovers, let the chicken cool, then transfer to an airtight freezer-proof container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
French onion chicken is a delicious dish that replicates the flavors of traditional french onion soup, but adds a twist with chicken. Instead of soup, the delicious broth is transformed into a thickened gravy and then served over the slow-cooked chicken with toasted french bread and cheese.
French Onion Chicken Crock Pot
- 4-quart slow cooker
- 2 large onions (halved then thinly sliced)
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 (4-ounce) breasts)
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package dry french onion soup mix
- 6 ounces grated swiss cheese
- 6 slices french bread (sliced about ½" thick)
- ½ cup sour cream
- Place onion in a microwave-safe dish, add 2 tablespoons of water, cover, and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together cream of chicken soup, cornstarch, onion soup mix, and thyme in a bowl.
- Coat the inside of a 4-quart crockpot with nonstick spray.
- Place onions on the bottom, top with chicken, then pour the sauce over the top. Cover and slow cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken breasts are done (internal temperature of 165°F).
- Toast each slice of bread (spread a small amount of butter over each if desired).
- Place the slice of bread in the bottom of a bowl, sprinkle with swiss cheese, place chicken breast on top, cover in sauce, then sprinkle with additional swiss cheese.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or thyme.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- NOTES: The onions are microwaved to give them a headstart on cooking; otherwise, the chicken is finished cooking well before the onions. Do not overcook the chicken breast; it can dry out easily.
- VARIATIONS: Chicken thighs can be substituted for the boneless skinless chicken breast. The onions can be sauteed in butter over medium-high heat in a skillet to get some browning (and more flavor) before placing them in the slow cooker.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve on toasted french bread with swiss cheese and garnish with fresh thyme or parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
© 2023 Slow Cooked Eats
Leave a Reply