These Ham and Green Beans in Crock Pot are the easiest and most delicious green beans you'll eat! Seasoned with broth, ham hock (or ham steak), and seasoned salt - they're tasty and super simple for you to make. The perfect side dish for any weeknight dinner or special holiday meal.
Why You'll Love Slow Cooker Green Beans with Ham Hock
A super simple recipe! While it's short on ingredients - it's full of flavor!
The perfect hands-off side dish for any weeknight dinner or the holidays!
Easy ingredient substitutions. Use a ham hock, ham steak, or leftover ham. You can also substitute canned green beans instead of fresh.
Green Beans and Ham Hock in Crock Pot Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make crock pot green beans and ham:
- Ham Hock or Ham Steak: use either one. Ham hock has a little more flavor than a ham steak and it's slightly less expensive.
- Onion: use white or yellow
- Fresh Green Beans (string or cut)
- Chicken Broth: chicken broth or vegetable broth may be used.
- Seasoned Salt: seasoned salt adds a nice flavor to this recipe!
- Ground Black Pepper
- Optional: baby potatoes can be added as well!
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How To Make Green Beans and Ham in Crock Pot
Here's how to make this easy green beans in crock pot recipe:
1. Add onion, green beans, ham hock, chicken broth, seasoned salt, and pepper to a crock pot.
2. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until the green beans and onion are tender.
3. Remove the ham hock after cooking. Allow it to cool, then pull the meat from the bone, remove any excess fat, and add it back to the green beans.
4. Drain liquid from beans or use a slotted spoon for easy serving.
How to Serve It
Drain any liquid. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Garnish with fresh chives, parsley, sliced or slivered almonds if desired.
Meal idea! Serve your crock pot green beans with Crock Pot Ham and Cheese Macaroni Casserole or, if this is a special holiday meal, serve them as a side to this Crock Pot Ham with Coke, Crockpot Mashed Potatoes and gravy. Yep. An entire crock pot meal. 🙂
Here are some suggestions for customizing your crock pot bbq shredded chicken:
- Add baby potatoes to the bottom of the pot before the green beans. Use a little extra broth and seasoning. You can also add a second ham hock if desired.
- Use string beans or cut green beans, your choice!
- Use canned green beans instead of fresh. If you do, it is helpful to give the onions a head start cooking in the microwave with a little broth (about 5 minutes). Add the onions and broth into the pot.
Slow Cooker Tips
Tip #1: It is best to cook the green beans and ham on low heat so the ham gets really tender and falls apart easily.
Let the green beans cool completely then transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Green Beans and Ham
- 2 pounds fresh green beans (trimmed, you can cut or leave whole)
- 1 whole smoked ham hock (or, a ham steak, diced)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small small onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- optional: 1 lb new baby potatoes, peeled and halved
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. In a 4 to 6-quart crockpot, add onion, green beans, ham, chicken broth, seasoned salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours until vegetables are tender.
- Remove ham hock after cooking. Allow it to cool, trim any fat, then pull meat from bone, and add the meat back to the crockpot.
- Drain liquid from beans or use a slotted spoon for easy serving.
- Serve and garnish with sliced almonds if desired.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: add baby potatoes and a little extra broth if desired. This recipe can easily be doubled as needed.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Drain liquid and adjust seasoning to taste. Can be dressed up with fresh parsley and sliced or slivered almonds.
© 2023 Slow Cooked Eats
Leave a Reply