This crockpot ham with coke recipe is tender and flavorful with a fabulous bourbon brown sugar glaze. Best part? Only 5 ingredients are needed for this juicy, flavorful cola glazed ham. Yep. It's perfect for any holiday or weeknight dinner!
Why You'll Love Slow Cooked Ham in Coke
5 Ingredient Easy. Any recipe that has under 10 ingredients is a win for me, so having a holiday ham with only 5 ingredients is like a home run! Spiral ham, coke, bourbon, brown sugar, and butter - that's it!
Moist and Flavorful. This spiral ham recipe is savory, sweet, smoky and rich! The carbonation from the coke helps to tenderize the ham while cooking it slowly in the crockpot. You'll LOVE the brown sugar bourbon glaze--SO good!
Cola Ham Slow Cooker Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this crock pot ham with coke:
- Coca-Cola: you can use brand name or off-brand if preferred, and you can also use diet if you'd like!
- Spiral Sliced Ham: in this recipe, I used a boneless spiral ham; however, you can use bone-in. You may need to adjust your cooking time if that is the case.
- Bourbon: you only need 2 tablespoons, so you can use any that you have on hand, or you can purchase a single-serve bottle at your local liquor store.
- Brown Sugar: use regular brown sugar or a brown sugar substitute.
- Butter: you can use salted or unsalted butter.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Substitutions and Variations
- A spiral sliced boneless ham was used in this recipe, but a bone-in ham would work just as well! A smaller ham will require more cooking time. Use a thermometer to test doneness.
- Make this recipe lower in sugar by using diet soda and a sugar substitute.
- Adjust any ingredients to taste.
- Use Sprite or 7up instead of Coke for a clear glaze.
- Add fruit to sweeten your ham, such as maraschino cherries or sliced pineapple.
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest! 🙂
How To Make Crockpot Ham with Coke
1. Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. Place ham sliced side down in crockpot. Pour in cola and bourbon over the top.
2. Cook on low until the ham in done(about 20-25 minutes per pound) check after 1 and half hours. Once done, remove from slow cooker and let rest. Reserve 1 cup of pot juices.
3. In a saucepan, melt butter, add pot juices, bourbon, and brown sugar, then heat until thickened. Glaze the ham and serve.
Hint: Remember that the ham is already cooked - be careful not to overheat it. Only heat until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F. If the ham packaging has a different final temperature recommendation - follow their instructions.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Cola Ham
Serve warm or cold. Serve your ham with mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, asparagus, or these tasty collard greens! If serving a crowd, cool the ham and pair with fresh rolls and favorite condiments and cheese for a easy sandwhich bar.
Got leftovers? Use them in this Crock Pot Ham and Cheese Macaroni Casserole.
Best Crock Pot Ham Tips
- Be careful when making the glaze because the sugar and butter can easily burn. Simmer your glaze over medium heat and stir frequently to prevent burning.
- If you use a bone in ham, you will need to cook it for longer in the crockpot. Check your internal temperature at about 90 minutes of cooking and adjust your cooking time as needed.
- Adjust your cooking time for the size of ham you use. If you use a smaller ham, your cooking time will be reduced, and for larger it may increase. Always check your internal temperature to ensure it is warmed through at 140 degrees F.
Crockpot Ham with Coke FAQ's
Once cooled, transfer to an air tight container in the fridge up to 5 days. You can freeze in an air-tight container for up to 3 months.
From fridge: place on a microwave safe plate and reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments until your desired temperature is reached. You can also reheat in a saute pan on the stove until heated through.
From freezer: pull 24 hours ahead and let it thaw in the fridge. Once thawed, follow the reheating instructions from the fridge.
Yes! Slow cooking a ham is a great way to reheat it. The moisture is retained keeping it a juicy and tender ham.
You can definitely overcook a ham in the slow cooker. It is even easier if your ham is already cooked and you just need to heat it through in the slow cooker. Heat your ham until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F to prevent drying it out.
In this recipe we are using a spiral ham which is already cooked. So soaking it ahead of time is not needed! If you were using an uncooked ham that has been cured in saltwater you should soak it for about 12-24 hours to dilute the salt from the ham.
Coca Cola Ham Crock Pot Recipe
- 1 (12-ounce) can coca cola (I used Coke but any brand will do, as well as sugar free)
- 1 (3 to 4-pound) spiral sliced ham (boneless)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
Crock Pot Ham
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. Remove ham from packaging and place sliced side down in the pot. If your ham comes with a glaze packet, you can toss it. Pour cola and 1 tablespoon bourbon over the top of the ham.
- Cover and turn the crockpot to low. Cook until the ham's temperature reaches 140 degrees. This will take approximately 20 to 25 minutes per pound. Check temperature after 1-½ hours.
- Once that ham is heated, remove it from slow cooker, tent with foil and let rest. Reserve 1 cup of juices from the crockpot for the glaze.
Brown Sugar Bourbon Glaze
- In a saucepan or skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup of the juices from the slow cooker, 1 tablespoon bourbon, and brown sugar.
- Bring the glaze to a gentle rolling boil over medium-high. Frequently stir with a whisk until the liquid is reduced by half and is slightly thickened. Let the mixture cool.
- Using a brush or spoon, brush the glaze evenly all over the outside and between the slices of the cooked ham.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- NOTES: The brown sugar and butter can easily burn in the glaze if boiled at too high of a temperature. Simmer over medium to medium-high and stir frequently.
- TIPS: Remember that the ham is already cooked - be careful not to overheat it. Only heat until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F. If the ham packaging has a different final temperature recommendation - follow their instructions.
- VARIATIONS: A bone-in ham may be used, but make sure it fits in your crock pot and serves between 6 and 8 people.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve warm or cool slices with fresh rolls, mashed potatoes, green beans, or asparagus.
© 2024 Slow Cooked Eats