Crockpot carrot and coriander soup is the perfect easy soup for any chilly weeknight dinner. It's warm and comforting. It's super healthy and loaded with vegetables and a fabulous unexpected flavor combination of coconut milk, ginger, turmeric, and coriander. 🙂
Why You'll Love This Carrot and Coriander Soup in a Slow Cooker
Perfectly blended flavor. This slow cooker soup is packed full of fresh flavors and is a delicious creamy carrot soup with ginger, honey, turmeric, coconut milk, and other spices making this soup loaded with many flavors that blend perfectly together.
Hands Off and Easy! I love that there is minimal prep work for this recipe and that you just throw all your ingredients into the crockpot, set it and forget it. Keep your coconut milk off to the side and add it at the end to give it an extra creamy texture.
Healthy and Delicious. This recipe is great to make for anyone as it is low in calories, low carb, vegan, plant based (be sure to use a Greek yogurt substitute), and gluten-free! Enjoy a super flavorful and delicious soup that feels like you are cheating, but you can enjoy it guilt-free!
Carrot Soup Slow Cooker Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this slow cooker carrot ginger soup:
- Carrots: peel and cut large carrots or use baby carrots to save on prep time.
- Onion: I suggest using white, yellow, or sweet varieties.
- Fresh Garlic: use fresh minced garlic or canned minced garlic based on preference.
- Ground Corriander: coriander is a very traditional spice used in Indian foods such as curries, soups, or stews.
- Fresh Ginger Root: be sure to peel and finely grate your fresh roots for the best flavor and that it infuses into your soup.
- Fresh Tumeric Root: again, be sure to peel and finely grate your fresh turmeric root.
- Fresh Squeezed Lemon: a freshly squeezed lemon will yield approximately 2 tablespoons. Use half of a lemon to get 1 tablespoon for this recipe.
- Canned Coconut Milk: coconut milk adds a creamy texture to the soup, and the flavor complements the fresh spices and roots in this recipe. It is also used in many Indian dishes, such as curry, soups, or stews.
- Plain Greek Yogurt (or a plant based substitute): adds brightness, creaminess, and tang. The yogurt can be omitted, but add in lemon or lime juice to taste for tang as a substitute - or use a vegan plant-based substitute.
- Vegetable Broth
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Optional: garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest! 🙂
Variations and Substitutions
- Sweeten with honey, brown sugar, or a sugar substitute if preferred.
- Give it a spicy kick by adding red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. You can also add hot peppers into your slow cooker when all the other vegetables are cooking to infuse the flavor better. Choose your favorite pepper, remove the stem and seeds, and add to the crockpot.
- Use heavy cream instead of coconut milk if preferred.
- Omit any ingredients as you desire.
- Use ¼ to ½ teaspoon dried powdered ginger or turmeric if you don't have fresh.
How To Make Carrot and Coriander Soup in Slow Cooker
For full instructions, see the recipe card below. Enjoy!
- Add all ingredients except the coconut milk to the slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until the vegetables are very soft.
3. Stir in the coconut milk, yogurt, and honey (if using). Cover and warm the soup if needed.
4. Using an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup to your desired consistency. Adjust any seasonings to taste.
How to Serve Crockpot Carrot Soup
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish your soup with fresh cilantro or chives, and toasted nuts. I used roasted and salted pepitas.
Drizzle extra coconut milk or top with a dollop of sour cream.
Add a small side salad to pair with your creamy carrot ginger soup. Use ginger vinegarette for a complimentary flavor.
Serve with your favorite warm crusty bread to soak up every last drop of soup!
Carrot Soup Slow Cooker Tips
Coax even more flavor from this soup by sauteeing the vegetables in 2 tablespoons of olive oil or butter until golden.
If your soup is too thick, add additional coconut milk, Greek yogurt, or vegetable broth to thin it so it is easier to blend to your desired consistency.
You can use a food processor or regular blender if you do not have a handheld immersion blender. Blend in batches if needed. Be careful it's hot! Blend until your desired consistency, and enjoy!
Carrot and Coriander Soup FAQ's
Allow your soup to cool down before transferring to an airtight container and storing it in the fridge for up to 4 days. This soup holds and reheats very well!
Yes! You can freeze this soup in an airtight container for up to 4 months. When you are ready to reheat, remove your container from the freezer and put it in the fridge overnight. Reheat in a pot on the stove until your desired temperature is reached.
Yes! This soup is loaded with fresh veggies and herbs that are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Our soup is low in calories, carbs, and sugar which is a healthy meal any time of the day!
Stirring your soup once about halfway through cooking is a good idea to make sure everything is cooked to the same tenderness. Beware that every time you lift the lid, it will lower the temperature inside your slow cooker and take longer to cook.
Crock Pot Carrot Soup with Ginger and Coriander
- 16 ounces carrots (pre-cut baby carrots save time)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root (peeled and finely grated)
- 2 teaspoons fresh turmeric root (peeled and finely grated)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 ounces canned coconut milk (heavy cream may also be used)
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (add more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup (optional) honey
- (optional garnish:) fresh cilantro leaves (coriander) (chopped)
- Add all ingredients except coconut milk to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until the vegetables are very soft.
- Stir in coconut milk, Greek yogurt, and honey (if using). Cover and warm the soup if needed.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup to your desired consistency. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Add a little sweetness with honey, brown sugar, or a sugar substitute. Add some spice by adding red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. Heavy cream may be used instead of coconut milk.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with fresh cilantro (coriander) and extra coconut milk or a dollop of sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- STORAGE: Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Can be frozen for up to 4 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat slowly in a microwave or on the stove.
© 2023 Slow Cooked Eats
More Crockpot Recipes To Love
- Slow Cooked Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk
- Copycat Olive Garden Pasta Fagioli
- Slow Cooker Brussel Sprouts
- Easy Herb Infused Crockpot Corn on the Cob Recipe
- Ham and Green Beans in Crock Pot
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie in Slow Cooker
- Easy Crockpot Candied Spiced Nuts Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Chocolate Peanut Clusters Recipe