This easy crockpot lasagna is flavorful and delicious with 3 layers of tender lasagna noodles, Italian sausage, gooey melty cheeses, and marinara. It takes only 15 minutes of prep and 6 ingredients to make this classic Italian favorite. This casserole is destined to be a staple in your rotation of recipes. Let's make it!
Why You'll Love Slow Cooker Lazy Lasagna
Easy Lazy Crockpot Lasagna. I used to save lasagna for the weekends but now I can whip this equally tasty version together in less than 15 minutes. You don't even have to cook the noodles first. While it's slow cooking I can get lot's of other things done!
Classic Recipe. This recipe delivers all the flavors and layers you desire with a classic lasagna recipe. You can make it as simple or complex as you want it to be by changing the type of sauce you use, like using a classic meat sauce or homemade tomato sauce, using ricotta cheese, or adding fresh herbs.
6 Ingredients! Only 6 ingredients are needed to make this simple lasagna. Use regular lasagna noodles, marinara sauce, Italian sausage, cottage cheese, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese.
Crockpot Lasagna Recipe with Cottage Cheese Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this easy crockpot lasagna recipe:
- Italian Sausage: use plain, mild, or hot as desired. You can also use a combination of sausage and ground beef to add variety. Be sure to cook ahead and drain the extra fat. All ground beef may be used, but you will be missing the seasoning.
- Marinara Sauce: homemade or jarred sauce works perfectly. Use any brand or type you like. I used 4 cups, 1 cup in each layer. This is close in equivalent to a 45-ounce jar of pasta sauce.
- Uncooked Lasagna Noodles: do not cook beforehand. The noodles get layered dry in the crockpot then will cook during the slow cooking process and be perfectly tender after 3 to 4 hours.
- Cottage Cheese: use full fat, reduced or fat-free if desired. Cottage cheese is preferred over ricotta due to the extra moisture content. If using ricotta, add half a cup of water to the marinara sauce.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: whole milk mozzarella melts the best in this recipe, but reduced fat or a combination may be used if looking to reduce fat in this recipe.
- Parmesan Cheese: finely grated parmesan cheese for this recipe is best for flavor and texture.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Substitutions and Variations
- Substitute the Italian sausage with beef, chicken, or turkey. You can also use a combination of proteins for elevated flavors.
- Use homemade tomato sauce if desired; otherwise, you can always use your favorite brand and type of sauce.
- Use ricotta cheese in place of cottage cheese if preferred.
- Add Italian seasoning to your meat sauce to incorporate additional seasoning.
- Add other seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add diced sauteed vegetables such as onions, celery, and bell pepper to your tomato sauce for more flavor, texture, and depth.
- Use extra cottage cheese or shredded cheese if you want it to be extra creamy.
- Omit the sausage or use impossible beef crumbles to make this lasagna vegetarian.
- Make it spicy by adding red pepper flakes to your layers.
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest! 🙂
How To Make Crock Pot Lasagna
1. Spread 1 cup of sauce on the bottom of a greased crock pot.
2. Layer the noodles, sauce, cottage cheese, mozzarella, and parmesan in 3 layers.
3. Cover and cook on low until the lasagna noodles are very soft and cooked through.
Hint: Avoid removing the lid more than you have to, as this allows the moisture to stay inside the crockpot, helps the noodles cook, and shortens the cooking time.
How To Serve Slow Cooker Lasagna Casserole
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, basil, or chives.
Serve with steamed broccoli, cauliflower, or your favorite vegetables!
Serve a small side salad with your favorite vegetables and dressing.
Make your favorite garlic bread to serve on the side.
Best Slow Cooker Lasagna Tips
- Don't be alarmed by using dry lasagna noodles in this recipe! The sauce, water, and extra moisture will cook the noodles right in the slow cooker--super easy!
- Be sure to drain the fat from your cooked Italian sausage as extra fat in your lasagna will leave it greasy.
- Make sure you don't skip putting sauce at the bottom of your slow cooker. This helps prevent the noodles from sticking to the bottom.
Slow Cooker Lasagna with Jar Sauce FAQ's
Once cooled, transfer to either one container or you can meal prep your leftovers into smaller, easy grab-and-go air-tight containers. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Microwave on high in 30-second increments until your desired temperature is met.
If your pasta is dry and uncooked when you put it into the slow cooker, be sure there is enough moisture to cook your noodles, and if being cooked on low, it should take about 3-4 hours until they are tender. This will depend on the size and thickness of your noodles as well.
You sure can! If you have frozen leftovers, you can put them in a greased crockpot on low and cook until your desired temperature is met.
Do not pre-boil your noodles, as this will hold a lot of extra liquid. It is also best if you are able to let your lasagna rest before serving. If your lasagna looks runny, remove the lid let it rest for at least 20 minutes to give it time to set and absorb excess liquid.
Slow Cooker Lasagna Recipe
- 3.5 to 6 quart crock pot (any shape of crockpot may be used, as you break the noodles to make them fit the pot.)
- 1 pound italian sausage (cooked and drained)
- 4 cups marinara sauce (I used a 45-ounce jar, with a little sauce leftover)
- 9 to 10 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 24 ounces cottage cheese
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Grease a 4 to 6-quart crockpot with nonstick spray. Spread 1 cup of sauce on the bottom of the pot.
- Layer 3 uncooked lasagna noodles (breaking to fit your pot as needed), 1 cup marinara sauce, and use a third each of the Italian sausage, cottage cheese, mozzarella, and parmesan. Repeat with 2 more layers, ending with cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or until the lasagna noodles are very soft and cooked through.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- TOP TIPS: Do not be alarmed by the use of dry noodles - the additional sauce, water, and moisture will cook the noodles right in the pot! How easy is that?
- VARIATIONS: Ground beef may be used in place of Italian Sausage (it won't have as much flavor, however so add Italian seasoning and garlic). Ricotta can be substituted for cottage cheese but it is much drier so ½ cup of water should be added to the marinara sauce. Italian seasoning may be added. Extra shredded cheeses and cottage cheese may be used.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with steamed broccoli or a side salad and a slice of garlic bread.
© 2023 Slow Cooked Eats