This well-loved brown sugar little smokies in crockpot recipe is the easiest party appetizer to make! Only 3 ingredients, under 3 minutes of prep time, and endless options for variations. Sweet, smoky, savory, and so delicious--perfect for the holidays or any get-together!
The Best Brown Sugar BBQ Little Smokies in Crockpot
Well Loved Favorite. This little smokies recipe is guaranteed to be a fan favorite at any gathering! They are easy to prepare, fun to eat, and addicting...if you haven't had them, it's time to now!
Only 3 Ingredients! This recipe is only 3 simple ingredients--brown sugar, BBQ sauce, and little smokies. There are variations to this recipe, such as wrapping the smokies in bacon or using grape jelly and chili sauce instead of brown sugar and BBQ sauce.
Quick and Easy. Did you see that there's less than 3 minutes of prep time? Yeah! It's as simple as putting your 3 ingredients into your crockpot, stirring, and setting to slow cook until they are done--perfect!
Slow Cooker Smokies Recipe Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make brown sugar smokies in the crockpot:
- Cocktail Sausages: use any of your favorite varieties. Adjust quantities as needed for your party.
- Brown Sugar: use regular dark or light brown sugar or a brown sugar substitute if desired.
- BBQ Sauce: you can use any brand or type of BBQ sauce you want! You can use regular, sugar-free, honey BBQ or a Carolina style--the options are endless.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Substitutions and Variations
- Use any variety of smokies you like! They make cheddar turkey, pork, or beef.
- Use kielbasa or smoked sausage and cut them into half-inch slices instead of cocktail sausages.
- Use grape jelly and chili sauce instead of brown sugar and BBQ sauce!
- Use a brown sugar substitute in place of regular brown sugar.
- Use any variety of BBQ sauce!
- Double or triple your recipe as needed for the size of the party you are serving.
- Make bacon wrapped smokies! You will need about 12 ounces of bacon. Cut slices of bacon into thirds, wrap around each sausage, and secure with a toothpick. Place in the bottom of the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours. Be sure to stir every 30 minutes to help brown the bacon.
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest! 🙂
How To Make Little Smokies in Crockpot Recipe
2. Add all the ingredients to the crockpot.
2. Cover and cook on high until done, stirring occasionally. (Bacon-wrapped smokies cook for longer).
How to Serve It
Set your crockpot to keep warm once done for serving to prevent overcooking or burning.
Serve warm directly out of the crockpot with toothpicks.
Use festive toothpicks for any holiday, party, or gathering.
Tips For Making Crockpot Cocktail Wieners with Brown Sugar
- Most cocktail sausage packages come in sizes between 12 and 14 ounces and larger packages of 28 ounces. Use what you can find! If you can only find 12-ounce packages, you can use those- this recipe is very forgiving!
- Stirring frequently will help to brown the sausages. The sausages touching the sides of the crockpot will brown the fastest. Stirring is especially important if you make bacon-wrapped smokies(it is best if the bacon gets browned).
Once cool, transfer your smokies to an air-tight container and store them in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Transfer your smokies to a microwave-safe plate and place a cover over the top. Microwave in 30-second increments until your desired temperature.
Suppose reheating bacon-wrapped smokies are placed flat in an air fryer to crisp the bacon. Start cooking at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes and increase time as desired.
A few tips to help prevent burning your BBQ sauce in the slow cooker is by spraying your crockpot with nonstick cooking spray before adding in your ingredients. You can also use a crockpot liner to prevent sticking or burning. Lastly, try to use a BBQ sauce that doesn't have a lot of sugar in it; sugar will carmelize quickly and have a higher chance of burning.
Most cocktail weiners or little smokies are already cooked. This easy appetizer is warmed in the crockpot to combine all the ingredients and is served warm.
On average, they estimate about 40 cocktail sausages in a 12-ounce package. Adjust the quantity you need based on the number of guests you serve. This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled if needed!
BBQ Little Smokies Crock Pot Recipe
- 1½ to 2-quart crockpot
- 14 to 16 ounces cocktail sausages
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup bbq sauce
- Spray the inside of a crockpot with nonstick spray. Add all of the ingredients and stir. (See notes below for making bacon-wrapped little smokies)
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. (Bacon-wrapped smokies will need to cook for 3 hours.)
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- Use cheddar-filled smokies or turkey sausages if you prefer. ½" sliced keilbasa or smoked sausage may be used in place of the cocktail sausages.
- Grape jelly and chili sauce can be substituted for brown sugar and bbq sauce.
- BACON WRAPPED SMOKIES: (you'll need about 12 ounces of bacon). Cut slices of bacon into thirds, wrap around each sausage, and secure with a toothpick. Place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours, stirring every 30 to 45 minutes (this helps the bacon and sausage to brown).
- Most cocktail sausage packages come in sizes between 12 and 14 ounces, and larger package of 28 ounces. Use what you can find. If you only have 12 ounces that is fine - this recipe is very forgiving.
- Stirring frequently will help to brown the sausages. The sausages touching the sides of the pot will brown the fastest. Stirring is especially important if you are making bacon-wrapped smokies (you want your bacon to get brown).
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve straight out of the crockpot with toothpicks.
© 2024 Slow Cooked Eats