This slow cooker Ritz cracker casserole is comfort food at its best! This casserole is filled with creamy, flavorful rice and chicken, then topped with crumbled buttery Ritz crackers and parmesan cheese. A full meal made in one crockpot and a new family favorite!
Why You'll Love Ritz Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe
All in One Meal. This crockpot meal is the perfect weeknight recipe to set and forget! Juicy tender chicken served with creamy rice, and choose to serve with freshly cooked vegetables or fresh bread.
Comfort Food. This recipe reminds me of a meal that my mom would make, and she learned from my grandmother. They used to call it no peek chicken and would make it in the oven. This is just like it, but even better and easier!
Great Leftovers! I always have leftovers from this crockpot meal and it reheats so well! Add an extra chicken breast or chicken thighs for more leftovers for lunch or dinner.
Slow Cooker Ritz Chicken Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make crockpot ritz chicken:
- Cream of Chicken Soup: use your favorite homemade version or just purchase canned from your local grocery store.
- Chicken Broth: use low sodium to reduce your sodium intake.
- Italian Seasoning: choose your favorite blend or use individual spices such as oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil, garlic powder, basil, and coriander.
- Salt and Pepper: to taste.
- Long Grain Rice: any brand or style of long grain rice will work. Substitute with whole grain or brown rice if preferred.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs or Breasts: use chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
- Sour Cream: low fat or full fat; choose your preference.
- Ritz Crackers: name brand or store brand will work the same! Substitute with your other favorites if desired.
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese: shred your own or purchase pre-shredded store-bought parmesan cheese. Substitute with your other favorites, such as cheddar, mozzarella, or a different blend.
- Fresh Parsley: fresh chopped parsley mixed into your crumb topping and can be used as a garnish!
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 😉
How To Make Slow Cooker Creamy Ritz Chicken Casserole
Here's how to make this easy slow cooker ritz chicken:
Whisk together the cream of chicken soup, broth, rice, half of the crushed Ritz crackers, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Pour the sauce into your crockpot. Top with the chicken and nestle them into the sauce.
Cover and cook on low for 2 to 4 hours or until the chicken is done (internal temp of 165 degrees). Spread sour cream evenly over the top.
In a small bowl, mix together the remaining Ritz crackers, fresh parsley, and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
Hint: Check the temperature of chicken breasts after 2 hours of cooking to prevent them from overcooking. They tend to overcook quickly, especially if your crockpot runs hot - like mine.
How to Serve Ritz Chicken Slow Cooker
Adjust any seasonings to taste. Add any additional seasonings you may like, such as garlic powder, onion powder, or even fresh minced garlic.
Serve with your favorite fresh bread or dinner rolls.
Meal idea! Serve this meal on its own, or pair it with your favorite steamed vegetables. You could also pair it with an easy, tossed green salad!
Here are some suggestions for customizing your slow cooker Ritz chicken:
- Substitute boneless skinless chicken breasts for chicken thighs! You can use bone-in if preferred; adjust cooking time as needed.
- Top your casserole with shredded cheddar cheese, mozzarella, or your favorites!
- Melt 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter and mix with the crushed crackers, cheese, and herb topping for a buttery topping.
Slow Cooker Tips
Tip #1: Use bone-in chicken thighs if you plan on cooking for longer in the crock pot. They take longer to cook and have a higher fat content, so they don't dry out as quickly as chicken breasts.
Tip #2: I highly suggest using a crockpot liner for this recipe, as you don't open it to stir. If I don't use one, it's always a little extra work to clean afterward.
Tip #3: Don't have the cream of chicken soup? Easily swap for any condensed cream soup you may have! I have tried this recipe with cream of mushroom, celery, and golden mushroom. All are delicious!
You can store everything together in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I like to meal prep my lunches with leftovers in my containers in portions for easy grab-and-go meals.
Portion the amount you want to reheat, as this will help a more even reheating process. Microwave on high for 90 seconds and increase the time until your desired temperature.
It is not necessary to brown your chicken before cooking it in the slow cooker.
A tip for a juicy chicken is to check your chicken's internal temperature after cooking for 2 hours. A safe internal temperature for chicken is 165 degrees. Chicken breasts dry out faster than chicken thighs, so if you are concerned, use chicken thighs.
Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole with Ritz Crackers
- 2 (10.5-ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup water or low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ tablespoon italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon each salt and ground black pepper
- ¾ cup long grain rice
- 6 (5 to 6-ounce) boneless skinless chicken thighs (breasts may also be used)
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 sleeve ritz crackers (crushed and divided in half)
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together cream of chicken soup, water, rice, half of the crushed ritz crackers, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the sauce into the bottom of the crock pot. Top with the chicken then nestle them into the sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 5 hours or until the chicken is done (internal temperature should be 165℉) and rice is tender.
- Spread sour cream evenly over the top.
- In a small bowl mix together the remaining ritz crackers, fresh parsley, and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Serve and enjoy!
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- NOTES: Chicken thighs are less likely to dry out, but chicken breasts may be used. Breasts can dry out easily if overcooked so check the temperature after 2 hours if your crock pot runs hot (like mine does). If you have to be away longer use chicken thighs or bone-in skinless breasts or thighs.
- VARIATIONS: Top with shredded cheddar cheese instead of parmesan. 2 to 3 tablespoons of melted butter may be mixed with the cracker, cheese, and herb topping.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with steamed vegetables and a tossed green salad.
© 2023 Slow Cooked Eats