Literally the best crock pot meat loaf with onion soup! It's moist and full of flavor from the ground beef and pork sausage, then perfectly seasoned with the onion soup mix and the sweet and savory topping. It's the best. Ready to make it?
Why You'll Love Crock Pot Meatloaf
So Moist. Using ground beef and pork sausage, along with cooking in a very moist crock pot environment, this is a VERY moist meatloaf! Using the sausage results in a more moist meatloaf than using ground beef alone.
It's Easy. Mix all the ingredients together, shape into a loaf, and slow cook for a few hours. Once done, give it a little color and brown that topping under your oven broiler! Bam. Done! 😉
Best Flavor. Sausage and beef with the added onion soup mix and the broiled topping give this slow cooker meatloaf FABULOUS flavor.
🥘 Crock Pot Meatloaf with Onion Soup Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this meat loaf in crock pot recipe:
- Ground Beef: use an 80/20 mix for best flavor.
- Ground Pork Sausage: sausage provides flavor and moisture.
- Eggs: large eggs are used as a binder
- Breadcrumbs: plain dried breadcrumbs are all you need. Nothing fancy.
- Ketchup: ketchup is used both in the meatloaf and on top as a sauce. If you are watching your sugar feel free to use sugar free.
- Onion Soup Mix: you can buy a packet or make your own.
- Brown Sugar: mixed with the ketchup for the most tasty topping!
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make Meatloaf in Crock Pot
Here's how to make this easy meat loaf in crock pot recipe:
1. Create a sling with aluminum foil and line the crock pot. Coat with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix all the meatloaf ingredients together. Mix until well incorporated.
3. Transfer the meatloaf mixture to the slow cooker. Shape into a loaf.
4. Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl and brush on top of the meatloaf.
5. Cover and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours or until its internal temperature reaches 155°F.
6. Transfer to a baking sheet and broil the topping until it starts to brown and is bubbly.
Hint: check the temperature of your meatloaf after 2 hours. Remove when it reaches 155 degrees F.
🍽️ How to Serve It
There are several ways you can serve your delicious crock pot meatloaf with onion soup mix!
Garnish with fresh parsley or chives and a side of additional ketchup.
Don't forget! Leftover meatloaf makes fabulous sandwiches!
Meal idea! Serve your succulent meatloaf with mashed potatoes and corn or peas.
Other side dishes that pair well with meatloaf:
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Pasta Salad
- Roasted vegetables
- Baked Beans
- A fresh green salad
Here are some suggestions for customizing your crock pot meat loaf with onion soup mix:
- Add red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.
- Omit the topping if desired. If you are watching your sugar you can use a brown sugar substitute.
- If it's just two of you, you can halve the meatloaf and use a total of 1 pound of meat. Slow cook the 1 lb meat loaf for 2 to 3 hours until 155 degrees.
- If you are in a time crunch you can skip browning the topping.
- All ground beef can be used, but quite a bit of flavor comes from the pork sausage.
💭 Slow Cooker Tips
Tip #1: Create a sling for the meatloaf so it can easily be lifted out of the crock pot and transferred to a baking sheet to broil the topping and then a cutting board to slice.
Tip #2: Use an instant read thermometer to determine the doneness of meatloaf. The temperature in the center should be 155 degrees F.
Tip#3: Some crock pot runs very hot on low. Test your meatloaf temperature after 2 hours.
Yes, absolutely! Cooking meat loaf in a crock pot is one of the best and easiest ways to make it. Slow cooking is a very hands off process and results in very moist meatloaf.
Cooking meatloaf in a crock pot is a very easy process, and because of the high moisture levels in the slow cooker, you end up with a very moist meatloaf.
A 1-pound meatloaf can take approximately 2 to 3 hours to cook in a crockpot. Using a thermometer, it is done when the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees F. This recipe can be halved easily so you don't need to use 2 pounds of ground meat!
Once cooled transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days, or freeze for 4 months (make sure your container is freezer safe). Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
You can reheat in your crock pot on low heat, or you can heat portions in the microwave on 50% power, covered until warm.
Crock Pot Meatloaf with Onion Soup Mix
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 package onion soup mix
- ¾ cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup water
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Create a sling by folding a sheet of aluminum foil into a 14" x 9" rectangle. Line the bottom and sides of the crock pot with the sling. Spray the inside of a crockpot and the sling with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix all the meatloaf ingredients together. Mix until well incorporated.
- Transfer the meatloaf mixture to the slow cooker. Shape into into a 9" x 5" loaf, pressing firmly together (tip: wet hands if the loaf is too sticky).
- Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl and brush on top of the meatloaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours or until its internal temperature reaches 155°F.
- Preheat oven to broil. Using the foil sling, remove the meatloaf from the slow cooker. Transfer the loaf to a baking sheet. Place on a rack about 6 inches away from the broiler. Broil until the top starts to get brown.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- NOTES: Remove the meatloaf when it reaches 155 degrees F.
- VARIATIONS: You can skip broiling the top of the meatloaf if you are in a hurry. An air fryer can be used to broil the top instead of an oven.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with mashed potatoes and peas, corn, or green beans.
© 2023 Slow Cooked Eats
Leave a Reply