Crockpot sloppy joes are perfect for the kid in all of us - the perfect meal idea for a hectic week! Everyone will love that wonderful tangy sweet flavor blended with ground beef and pork sausage. Tip: Sloppy joes can easily be meal prepped up to 4 days ahead of time - and cooked when you're ready! Ready to make it?
Why You'll Love Crockpot Sloppy Joes
For the kid in all of us! What kid doesn't love that messy sloppy delicious beef mixture? Whether you pick up your sandwich (slopping the meat everywhere), or carefully use a fork to eat it - your whole family will love this dinner. 😉
Meal Prep it. Cook the meat and vegetables. Then add everything to the crock pot. Cover the pot and place in the fridge up to 4 days prior to slow cooking.
Delicious. This recipe has the best flavor blend from using beef and pork along with onions and green peppers. I love the balance of sweet and tangy.
Slow Cooker Sloppy Joe Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make crockpot sloppy joes:
- Ground Beef: use a 90 to 93% lean ground beef. If 80/20 is used, fat should be drained before cooking vegetables.
- Pork Sausage: I used a ground breakfast sausage.
- Onion: use a yellow or white onion.
- Green Bell Pepper
- Garlic: fresh garlic is best. To save time feel free to use "jarlic."
- Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Paste: helps to thicken the sauce as well as adds a tanginess.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: regular vinegar may also be used.
- Prepared Yellow Mustard
- Chili Powder
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Cornstarch: used to thicken the sloppy joe mixture
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How To Make Sloppy Joes in Crock Pot
Here's how to make homemade sloppy joes in the crock pot:
1. Cook ground beef, pork sausage, onion, and bell pepper in a skillet (or crock pot) until meat is cooked.
2. Add the remaining ingredients.
3. Slow cook on low for 2 to 3 hours.
4. Season to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Hint: The meat and vegetables are pre-cooked so the slow cooking essentially allows the flavors to blend perfectly.
What To Serve with Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
There are several ways you can serve your delicious crockpot sloppy joes!
Meal idea! Serve your sloppy joes over hamburger buns, top with coleslaw, and serve with a side of baked beans or potato salad.
Top with a slice of cheddar cheese if desired.
To lower the carbs, wrap the sloppy joe mixture in lettuce leaves, a low carb tortilla, or a keto bun.
Here are some suggestions for customizing your crock pot bbq shredded chicken:
- Make it spicy by adding hot sauce, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper.
- Use all ground beef, or substitute ground chicken or turkey for the ground beef.
- Use any color of bell pepper. Red, yellow, and orange peppers are sweeter than green.
- Make this low-carb and keto by using sugar-free ketchup and a brown sugar substitute. Serve over low carb keto friendly buns.
Cook sloppy joes in the crock pot on low for 4 to 6 hours for the best blending of flavors.
Transfer the cooled sloppy joe mixture to an air-tight container and refrigerate up to 4 days or freeze up to 4 months. Thaw the frozen sloppy joe mixture in the refrigerator. Reheat in a crockpot or microwave until warm.
Sloppy Joes Crockpot Recipe
- 1.5 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 large green bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat or a slow cooker with a browning function, add ground beef, pork sausage, bell pepper, and onion. Saute until meat is no longer pink.
- Add meat and vegetables to the crock pot. Add all remaining ingredients to the pot and stir. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- If the mixture has become too runny you can whisk an additional ½ to 1 tablespoon cornstarch in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons cold water. Add to the pot and stir in. Continue to cook with the lid off until the mixture is thickened to your liking.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Use ground chicken or turkey in place of beef.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve on a hamburger bun, topped with cheese or coleslaw if desired.
© 2023 Slow Cooked Eats
Leave a Reply